So I started my new job and new routine and with that I knew the marathon training was possibly going to suffer a bit. It did! I completely underestimated just how tired I’d be travelling to work (1-hour each way), being in an office again and taking in new information. I also had a particularly busy week anyway – I certainly hit the ground running. Unfortunately, I didn’t do much actual running. I exhausted myself instead and managed to pick up a chesty cough this week to boot. So I have massively increased my intake of vitamins, fruit juice, extra veg, and early nights.
What have I learnt this week?
- Take your kit with you everywhere – if you have a meeting in London – run afterwards. It’s going to be very difficult with my job to not be prepared for last minute meetings. I’m going to need to seize every opportunity to train.
- Prepare lunches – apart from Monday, I haven’t had an opportunity to leave the building for lunch. I am so glad I’ve been prepared or I would have been so hungry!
- Run at lunch times – I have a couple of days with 3-4 miles easy on the schedule so those would be ideal.
- Invest in dry shampoo – for the lunch time runs I plan on showering my body and dry shampooing my hair to save time.
- Rest as much as I can – get in naps and go to bed early where possible.
- Meticulously plan long runs at the weekend and organise them with friends in advance. I’m going to struggle to go beyond about 13 miles on my own.
- Get fresh air and get away from the desk – being cooped up inside all the time is recipe for picking up the office cold.
- Invest in some antibacterial/antiviral gel – it’s only January 26th and I refuse to get cold number 3 any time soon!
Tuesday: 3 miles easy
Wednesday: 3 miles easy
Thursday: Exhaustion set in…
Friday: I felt really ill and was exhausted after a meeting in London.
Saturday: I needed to rest. I felt so tired I actually felt nauseous.
Sunday: I decided to man up and do 13.1 miles. I hauled my arse out of bed and dragged myself out in the pouring rain – I am feeling good and so proud of myself. :-) I killed it even with my cough and managed 2 h 16.
Next week is set to be even busier – it looks like I’ll be working all weekend so I may need to re-jig the training plan and get a long run in with running club again so that I can squeeze in shorter runs around work. I will also ditch crossfit next week as it takes a lot out of me and can be replaced with a run.
How’s your training going? Are you managing to fit in training around life?